Part I Writing (30 minutes)
Directions:For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write an essay on happiness by referring to the saying“Happiness is not the absence of problems, but the ability to deal with them.”You can cite examples to illustrate your point and then explain how you can develop your ability to deal with problems and be happy. You should write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.
Part II Listening Comprehension (30 minutes)
Directions:In this section, you will hear 8 short conversations and 2 long conversations. At theend of each conversation, one or more questions will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the questions will be spoken only once. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A), B), C) and D), and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 1 with a single line through the centre.
1. A) The rock band needs more hours of practice.
B) The rock band is going to play here for a month.
C) Their hard work has resulted in a big success.
D) He appreciates the woman’s help with the band.
2. A) Go on a diving tour in Europe. C) Travel overseas on his own.
B) Add 300 dollars to his budget. D) Join a package tour to Mexico.
3. A) In case some problem should occur. C) To avoid more work later on.
B) Something unexpected has happened. D) To make better preparations.
4. A) The woman asked for a free pass to try out the facilities.
B) The man is going to renew his membership in a fitness center.
C) The woman can give the man a discount if he joins the club now.
D) The man can try out the facilities before he becomes a member.
5. A) He is not afraid of challenge.
B) He is not fit to study science.
C) He is worried about the test.
D) He is going to drop the physics course
6. A) Pay for part of the picnic food. C) Buy something special for Gary.
B) Invite Gary’s family to dinner. D) Take some food to the picnic.
7. A) Bus drivers’ working conditions. C)Public transportation.
B) A labor dispute at a bus company. D) A corporate takeover.