51. There are as good fish in the sea __C__ ever came out of it.
A.than B.like C.as D. so
52. All the President’s Men __B__one of the important books for historians who study the Watergate Scandal.
A.remain B. remains C.remained D. is remaining
53. “You __A__ borrow my notes provided you take care of them.” I told my friend.
A.could B.should C.must D. can
54. If only the patient __A__ a different treatment instead of using the antibofies he might still be alive now.
A.had received B.received C.should receive D. were receiving
55.Linda was __B__ the experiment a month ago but she changed her mind at the last minute.
A.to start B. to have started C.to be starting D. to have been starting
56. She __D__ fifty or so when I first met her at the conference.
A. must be B.had been C.could be D. must have been
57. It is not __C__ much the language as the background that makes the book difficult to understand.
A. that B.so C.so D. very
58.The committee has anticipated the problems that __D__ in the road construction project.
A. arise B.will arise C.arose D. have arisen
59. The student said there were a few points in the essay he __A__ impossible to comprehend.
A. had found B.will arise C.arose D. have arisen
60. He would have finished his college education, but he __C__ to quit and find a job to support his family.
A. had had B. has C.had D. would have
61. The research requires more money than __B__ has been put in.
A. have been put in B.has been put in C.being put in D. to be put in
62. Overpopulation poses a terrible threat to the human race. Yet it is probably __B__ a threat to the human race than environmental destruction.
A.no more B. not more C. even more D. much more
63. It is not uncommon for there __D__ problems of communication between the old and the young.
A.being B.would be C.be D. to be
64. __B__ at in his way, the situation doesn’t seem so desperate.
A. Looking B.Looked C.Being looked D. To look
65. It is absolutely essential that William __C__ his study in spite of learning difficulties.
A.will continue B.continued C.continue D. continues
66. The painting he bought at the street market the other day was a __D__ forgery.
A.man-made B.natural C.crude D. real
67. She’s always been kind to me- I can’t just turn __A__ on her now that she needs my help.
A. my back B.my head C.my eye D. my shoulder
68. The bar in the club is for the __B__ use of its members.
A.extensive B.exclusive C.inclusive D. comprehensive
69. The tuition fees are __C__ to students coming from low-income families.
A.approachable B.payable C.reachable D. affordable
70.The medical experts warned the authorities of the danger of disease in the __A__ of the earthquake.
A.consequence B.aftermath C.result D. affect
71. This sort of rude behavior in public hardly __B__ a person in your position.
A.becomes B.fits C.sopports D. improves
72. I must leave now. __B__ if you want that book I’ll bring it next time.
A.Accendentally B.Incidentally C.Eventually D. Naturally
73. After a long delay, she __D__ replying to my e-mail.
A.got away with B. got back at C.got by D. got round to
get around to doing something :to find time to do something. I wanted to see that movie but never got around to it.
74. Personal computers are no longer sth beyond the ordinary people. They are __C__ available these days.
A.gwowingly B.instantly C.readily D. quickly
75. In my first year at the university I learnt the __A__ of journalism.
A. basics B. basic C.elementary D. elements
76. According to the new tax law, my money earned over that level is taxed at the __D__ of 39%.
A. ratio B. percentage C. proportion D. rate
77. Thousands of __C__ at the stadium came to their feet to pay tribute to an outstanding performance.
A.audience B. participants C.spectators D. observers
78. We stood still, gazing out over the limitless __C__ of the desert.
A. space B.expanse C.stretch D. land
79. Doctors often __C__ uneasiness in the people they deal with.
A.smelt B.hear C.sense D. touch
80. Mary sat at the table, looked at the glare and __C__ her lips.
A. smacked B. opened C.parted D. separated
Until I took Dr. Offutt’s class, I was an underachieving student, but I left that class determined never to underachieve again. He not only taught me to think, he convinced me, as much by example as words, that it was my moral obligation to do so and to serve others.
Neither of us could know how our relationship would evolve over the years. When I first came back to DeMatha to teach English, I worked for Dr. Offutt, the department chair. My discussions with him as he mentored me were like graduate seminars in adolescent development, classroom management and school leadership.
After several years, I was named department chair, and our relationship shifted again. I thought that it might be awkward chairing the department, since all of my former English teachers were still there, but Dr. Offutt supported me throughout. He knew when to give me advice about curriculum, texts and personnel, and when to let me chart my own course.
In 1997, I needed his advice about leaving DeMatha to become principal at another school. If he had asked me to stay at DeMatha, I might have. Instead, he encouraged me to seize the new opportunity.
Five years ago, I became the principal of DeMatha. Once again, Dr. Offutt was there for me, letting me know that I could count on him as I tried to fill such big shoes. I’ve learned from him that great teachers have an inexhaustible wealth of lessons to teach. Even if his students don’t know it yet, I know how fortunate they are; I’m still one of them.
Is it wise to make friends on the Internet?
Your friend Jimmy is the head of the school swimming club he invited you to jion the club ，but you are interasted in other sports 。write a note to refuse his invite。
Advertising has already become a specialized activity in modern times. In today’s business world, supply is usually greater than demand. There is great competition between manufactures of the same kind of product because they want to persuade customers to buy their particular brand. They always have to remind their customers of the name and qualities of their products by advertising. The manufacture advertises in newspapers and on the radio. He sometimes employs sales girls to distribute samples of their products. He sometimes advertises on the Internet as well. In addition, he always has advertisements put into television programs that will accept them. Manufactures often spend huge sums of money on advertisements. We buy a particular product because we think that is the best. We usually think so because the advertisements say so. People often don’t ask themselves if the advertisements are telling the truth when they buy advertised products from shops.